Current:Home > FinancePaula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co -TradeWisdom
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:05:19
Paula Abdul and Nigel Lythgoe have settled their lawsuit a year after the allegations sent shockwaves through the dance industry.
On Thursday, the "Straight Up" singer filed a notice of settlement for the lawsuit against her fellow former “So You Think You Can Dance” judge Lythgoe, which included allegations of sexual assault and harassment. The terms of the settlement are unknown.
On Dec. 29 of last year, Abdul filed a lawsuit against the former “American Idol” executive producer, alleging that he sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of "Idol" — on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 — and again in 2014 when she was judging "SYTYCD."
“I am grateful that this chapter has successfully come to a close and is now something I can now put behind me,” Abdul said in a statement provided to CNN and CBS News.
Abdul continued: "This has been a long and hard-fought personal battle. I hope my experience can serve to inspire other women, facing similar struggles, to overcome their own challenges with dignity and respect, so that they too can turn the page and begin a new chapter of their lives.”
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Abdul and Lythgoe for comment.
Nigel Lythgoe is leaving Fox's'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault lawsuits
Other allegations against Lythgoe
Days after Abdul filed her lawsuit, two contestants who appeared on the 2003 ABC talent competition show "All American Girl" accused Lythgoe of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and negligence stemming from an alleged attack in May of that year. They filed anonymously, using the names Jane Doe K.G. and Jane Doe K.N.
Lythgoe worked on 'American Idol', 'SYTYCD'
Lythgoe produced “Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and "SYTYCD" from 2005-14.
He was a "SYTYCD" judge from its inception in 2005, but stepped back from the "SYTYCD" judging panel in January, telling USA TODAY in a statement at the time that he "informed the producers of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ of my decision to step back from participating in this year’s series."
Contributing: KiMi Robinson
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (75762)
Related
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Biden meets with Democratic mayors as he tries to shore up support
- Election officials push back against draft federal rule for reporting potential cyberattacks
- How Becoming a Dad Changed John Mulaney: Inside His Family World With Wife Olivia Munn and Son Malcolm
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Queens of the Stone Age's Josh Homme to undergo surgery, European tour canceled
- 'Gladiator II' trailer teases Paul Mescal fighting Pedro Pascal — and a rhinoceros
- Clippers star Kawhi Leonard withdraws from US Olympic basketball team
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Fed's Powell says labor market 'has cooled really significantly.' Are rate cuts coming?
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- TikToker Bella Brave, 10, Placed in a Medically Induced Coma
- Drake places $300,000 bet on Canada to beat Argentina in Copa America semifinals
- New students at Eton, the poshest of Britain's elite private schools, will not be allowed smartphones
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Mega Millions winning numbers for July 9 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $181 million
- Las Vegas eyes record of 5th consecutive day over 115 degrees as heat wave continues to scorch US
- Rays' Wander Franco charged with sexual abuse, exploitation of minor: report
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Utah CEO and teenage daughter killed after bulldozer falls on their truck
Violet Affleck reveals she contracted post-viral condition in 2019, slams mask bans
Brett Favre asks appeals court to to re-ignite lawsuit against Shannon Sharpe
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Meagan Good says 'every friend advised' she not date Jonathan Majors amid criminal trial
Florence Pugh and Andrew Garfield Prepare to Break Hearts in Gut-Wrenching We Live in Time Trailer
Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s security detail shoots man during attempted carjacking, authorities say